Apple Pie Spice is a simple blend of spices that I like to keep on hand during the fall and winter season. Use it in apple pie, whipped cream, or oatmeal for a flavorful treat!
I try to keep my spice cabinet stocked with only our favorites that we use regularly, and not add any that I know will go bad before we get a chance to use it all. Apple Pie Spice is one of those spices that I am hesitant to add because it isn’t something that I use year round.
Not to mention, it is a blend of spices that I typically already have in my pantry, so I decided to start making my own homemade apple pie spice instead.
What is in Apple Pie Spice?
Apple Pie Spice is a yummy blend of warm spices. For this apple pie spice recipe, you will need:
- ¼ cup ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
What is Allspice?
Contrary to what its name suggests, allspice isn’t a blend of other spices—it’s a single spice made from dried berries of the allspice tree which look like peppercorns. It is referred to as pimento in other parts of the world and resembles the warm flavors of cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg.
In fact, if you don’t have any allspice you can substitute with equal parts of those spices.
What is Similar to Apple Pie Spice?
Apple pie spice is almost identical to pumpkin pie spice. It usually includes cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice, and is merely lacking the ginger you’ll find in a pumpkin pie spice recipe.
Tips for Making this Apple Pie Spice Recipe
- This recipe is an easy apple pie spice substitute for the store bought version- not only do you probably already have all of the ingredients, but you can also play with the amounts to customize your own blend.
- Assuming your spices are fresh when creating your blend, the homemade apple pie spice mix can be stored in a tightly sealed jar for up to a year.
Ways to Use Apple Pie Spice
A little goes a long way when it comes to using a spice blend like this, so I would start with 1/4 teaspoon and go up to a 1/2 teaspoon after tasting. Add apple pie spice to:
- ● ¼ cup ground cinnamon
- ● 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- ● 1 teaspoon allspice
- ● 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- In a small bowl, mix all ingredients together.
- Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 112Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 6mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 18gSugar: 1gProtein: 2g
The nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate generated by a calculator.