Instant Pot Popcorn is an easy and delicious way to make your favorite snack! Ditch the microwave and processed bagged stuff by using this simple method instead.
After the kids go to bed you will find James and I snuggled up with a giant mixing bowl of popcorn and cold root beer watching Netflix. Something about the salty crunch with a sweet soda is the perfect pairing!
And salty it is… I was shocked the first time I saw how much salt he likes to put on his popcorn. I used to joke when I was pregnant that I could feel myself swelling up just sitting next to him without even eating any.
Now that he’s converted me to a popcorn lover, I’ve been testing different brands and methods in an attempt to ditch the processed bagged stuff. Making this Instant Pot Popcorn is definitely my new favorite way!
Instant Pot Popcorn
To make this popcorn in the Instant Pot, you will need:
In addition to these simple ingredients, you will also need a glass lid for your pressure cooker. At first I wasn’t sure if it was really necessary, but after discovering how addictive this Instant Pot Popcorn is, we use it often. (Be sure to get the Instant Pot glass lid that fits your size Instant Pot.)
Why use coconut oil?
I’m a big fan of using real butter for most things, but in this case you need to use coconut oil instead. Coconut oil has a higher smoke point which helps ensure the popcorn pops evenly and doesn’t burn. You can find it at most any grocery store, but I like this Extra Virgin Coconut Oil from Amazon.
How to Make Popcorn in an Instant Pot
This method is almost as easy as tossing a bag in the microwave, but somehow so much tastier! To make popcorn in an Instant Pot, you will:
- Set the Instant Pot to Saute.
- Add in coconut oil and allow it to melt.
- Add in the popcorn kernels and give them a stir to coat with the melted oil.
- Cover the Instant Pot with a clear glass lid and cook for 5-6 minutes, or until the kernels stops popping.
- Carefully transfer popcorn to a large bowl and generously sprinkle salt over.
- Enjoy with your favorite toppings or seasonings.
We like to keep our popcorn toppings simple with just melted butter and flaky sea salt. I recently purchased this Popcorn Salt from Redmond Salt and have been loving that as well.
You can go wild here! Mix in chocolate candies or caramel bits to make sweeter popcorn. Use ranch dressing mix, Parmesan, or garlic salt for savory popcorn. Everything But the Bagel seasoning is always a good option!
Check out these popcorn flavor ideas for your next movie night!
More Simple Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Sticky Rice
- Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs
- Instant Pot Oatmeal
- Instant Pot Applesauce
- Instant Pot Corn on the Cob
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels (unpopped)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Set Instant Pot to saute.
- Add in coconut oil and allow to melt.
- Add in popcorn kernels and stir to coat.
- Cover Instant Pot with glass lid and cook 5-6 minutes, or until kernels stop popping.
- Carefully transfer to a large bowl and sprinkle with salt.
- Top with seasonings as desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 66Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 298mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g
The nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate generated by a calculator.