Pumpkin Banana Bread made with ripe bananas and pumpkin puree. This simple recipe makes five mini loaves that are super moist and full of soft pumpkin flavor.
This Pumpkin Banana Bread is one of my favorite recipes to make to kick off the fall season. It’s a little breakfast, a little dessert, and all the deliciousness.
I love using special recipes as a way to mark time and my kids know that when they see these loaves cooling on the counter that crisp mornings, falling leaves, and homemade pumpkin pie are right around the corner!
Pumpkin Banana Bread Ingredients
This pumpkin banana bread recipe uses simple ingredients that I typically always have on hand. As soon as the weather starts to cool, I start stocking up on cans of pumpkin puree to make all of my favorite fall treats (like Pumpkin Apple Butter and Pumpkin Dip).
I prefer to make this recipe with pecans but you can also use walnuts. For this recipe, you will need:
- Large eggs
- Mashed ripe bananas
- Pumpkin puree
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Chopped pecans
How to Make Pumpkin Banana Bread
My kids love to help me make this quick bread- one mashing the bananas, one scooping the pumpkin puree, and everyone taking a turn stirring. To make this pumpkin banana bread, you will:
- Cream the shortening and sugar in a large bowl.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Beat in the bananas, pumpkin, and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients; fold in the nuts.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes at 350 F in five greased loaf pans.
What Size Loaf Pans to Use?
This recipe makes five mini loaves. I used Wilton 5.75 x 3in pans. (This may also be written as 5 3/4x3x2-in. loaf pans.) I’ve also made this recipe into mini pumpkin donuts instead of loaves of bread- they were SO good!
If you want to make this as a larger loaf, I would use a 9x5in pan and bake for 45-55 minutes. To prevent the sides of the loaf from getting too brown, I recommend using a light colored loaf pan.
If you notice that the top of the pumpkin banana bread is getting too brown but the middle isn’t baked through yet, you can tent a piece of aluminum foil and place it over top of the loaf while it’s still baking.
Pumpkin Spice Butter
I whipped up a simple pumpkin spice butter to serve with these mini pumpkin bread loaves. To make the pumpkin spice butter you will need 1 stick (1/2 cup) of unsalted butter at room temperature and 1/4 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice. Mix the two together in a small bowl and enjoy!
Tips for Making Pumpkin Banana Bread
- This bread freezes beautifully! Store it at room temperature for a day or two and then wrap it with plastic wrap before freezing.
- If you have any leftover pumpkin puree you can freeze that as well. Spoon leftover pumpkin into an airtight container or resealable freezer bag for up to three months.
- I use the Pam baking spray with flour anytime I make a baked good like bread or pound cake. You can use shortening (to grease the pan first) and flour (to dust on top of the shortening, shaking out any excess) as well.
More Pumpkin Recipes
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
- 3/4 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in bananas, pumpkin puree, and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Fold in nuts.
- Pour into five greased 5.75x3x2-in mini loaf pans.
- Bake 350 F for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan before removing to a wire rack.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 30 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 121Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 96mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 1gSugar: 11gProtein: 1g
The nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate generated by a calculator.